Photos from the collection of M.B.Wilkins, Emeritus Regius Professor of Botany, University of Glasgow.




List of images







-----------------------------------------------------------------


These are photographs taken by Malcolm B. Wilkins, who was Regius Professor of Botany at the University of Glasgow from 1970 to 2000.

Malcolm Wilkins supervised me (Jennifer Deegan - the founder of the image library) during my undergraduate degree, and has passed the management of the images to me now that he is retired. He taught me a great deal about plant physiology, and I enjoyed my time at the University very much.

Throughout my degree, Malcolm Wilkins allowed me to spend my spare time working in his laboratory. I had a lot of fun, tinkering with plants and carrying out physiology and development experiments, mostly on fern gametophytes. It was this work that led to my own experiments in focus stacking with fern gametophytes.

Malcolm is now retired and has very kindly passed on his collection of botany slides to me, so that I can use them to illustrate my plant science writing. You will be able to see for yourself how fine the images are, but they also hold very happy memories for me from my undergraduate years. I'm very glad to have been able to set up this small image library, so that others can enjoy the images too.

To see the full collection, please see the listing above (in progress).

I hope you enjoy the images as much as I do.


Copyright


If you would like to use one of the images for your own teaching or publications then please do write to me through the contact form on the left side of this page. Malcolm Wilkins and his family hold the copyright to the images, and will be very happy to receive an application from anyone who would like to purchase a licence to use them.

The images shown here are reduced in size to 850px by 567px in JPEG quality 6, to prevent unauthorised copying. Much larger versions, sized 7198px by 4816px in maximum quality JPEG, or the original slides, are also available.

Please do not use the images without contacting me, as this will be a breach of copyright.

Thanks!

The Itinerant Botanist.